The head is made up of brain and sense organs which manipulates the whole body and mind functions and keep us healthy when they are in a frame of well being. Head thus forms a control station for all our life activities. When we take care of the control station properly, the whole body factory will function smoothly.
On the other hand, to get rid of any body or mind related illness we need to go back to the control station (uttamanga) called head and address it with suitable treatments and medications.
This also gives us an impression that the most ancient science called Ayurveda very well knew that most of our diseases occur due to disturbed mind or exacerbated by a disturbed mind. Healing the body or mind alone is not a comprehensive medical approach. They should be handled as a single entity.
Siro-basti starts with the application of warm herbal oil all over the body. This nourishes the nerve endings and prepares the body for the main treatment. Then a cylindrical shaped leather cap of about ten inches height and both ends open is fitted around the patients head. Certain mixture of the lukewarm herbal oil which is prescribed by the Ayurveda Physician according to the individual body type is poured into it. Generally the oil is retained on the head for about 30 to 45 minutes. Timing and duration of the treatment varies according to the condition of the patient and type of disease. Usually, the doctor prescribes a 7 or 14 day treatment course.
Indications of Shiro-basti:
Shiro-basti therapy is prescribed for prevention of many psychosomatic disorders as well to cure the disorders. It is useful in prevention and cure of the disorders especially of body, mind and sense organs.
- Diseases of Vata origin, mainly degenerative diseases
- Diseases of Pitta origin, mainly inflammatory diseases
- Facial paralysis, Hemiplegia, paralysis
- Sleeplessness, Tiredness, fatigue
- Dryness of nostrils, mouth, throat and scalp
- Different types of headaches and diseases pertaining to head
- Burning sensation of head
- Itching in the scalp etc.
- Eye diseases
- Diseases of cranial nerves
- Hair fall, Premature greying of hairs, Dandruff
- Helpful to improve memory and vision
- Urinary disorders
- Boils wounds or ulcers in the head
- Low immunity
- Cracks and fissures in the hands (palm) and foot (sole)
- Laxity and loss of integrity of joints (fragile joints)
- Heart diseases
- Sluggish metabolism
- Tastelessness / Anorexia
- Loss of memory / Alzheimer’s disease
- Diabetic neuropathy
Used to treat many diseases occurring due to damage to the head and its components either from exterior injuries or due to morbid Doshas from within.
This treatment will be given for 45 minutes. For more information see #35.